Friday, June 25, 2010

MMmmm ... Tacos ....

I've been looking for a good taco seasoning recipe for a while now. The packets make us all bloaty and feel like a twenty-member team of people should attach ropes to us, then drag us along in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.


We had three teenagers over the night I made this, and they all raved about it. (Though I think it would be a bit spicy for little-people palettes.) My husband and I decided it's our new taco go-to. I'd like to tell you I concocted this on my own, but bold-faced lies are unattractive, so props to whomever posted it on AllRecipes.com where it's listed as Taco Seasoning I.

I've used this on hamburger and chicken. For the chicken, I created an olive-oil based marinade, adding in some extra cumin and lemon and lime juices. I also recommend about a half cup of plain or lemon yogurt when marinating; the enzymes work some magic on the proteins of the meat, yielding a seriously tender slab o' goodness.

And since (I know, I know, "isn't she done blabbering yet?") I knew from the first bite I'd want to have this on hand always, I also did a little Excel magic and created a "bigger batch" matrix at the bottom. If it's too small to read, just increase the view size in your browser.

If you'd like this in a PDF, just drop me an email. Enjoy!

Taco Seasoning

• 1 tablespoon chili powder
• 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
• 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
• 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
• 1/2 teaspoon paprika
• 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon sea salt
• 1 teaspoon black pepper

Mix all ingredients together, store in airtight container.

For use, stir 3T mix into .5 c hot water, pour of browned, drained meat and simmer until absorbed.

To make large batch for storage:














(Sorry, no photos on this one ... I had teenagers who were hungry NOW.)

1 comment:

Erin said...

These were delicious! I left out the red pepper flakes for a milder version (on the kiddie menu ;); And I served with homemade corn tortillas:

1 cup flour
1 cup corn meal
1 egg
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups water

Mix together and cook like pancakes on a griddle; for a crisper shell, butter griddle and increase cooking time. YUM!